A life-long, progressive, life threatening, genetically-related, costly, multi-factorial disease of excess fat storage with multiple co-morbities (obesity related health conditions).
Magnitude of the Problem
- 65% of Americans are overweight
- 6 to 10 million Americans are more than 100 pounds overweight
- It can reduce a person's life expectancy by 20 years
- It is the second leading cause of preventable death in America killing 300,000 annually
Morbid Obesity Defined
Clinically severe obesity at which point serious medical conditions occur as a direct result of the obesity (defined as greater than 200% of ideal weight, greater than 100 pounds overweight, or a body mass index greater than or equal to 40).
Obesity Related Co-Morbidities
- Adult Onset Type II Diabetes
- Cardiac disease
- Fatty Liver
- Gallbladder disease
- Infertility problems
- Menstrual irregularity
- Premature death
- Respiratory disease (sleep apnea)
- Stress Incontinence
- Venous Insufficiency
Body Mass Index
Calculated as follows: (Weight ÷ Height2) x 703 = BMI
To calculate your Body Mass Index, visit CDC-Body Mass Index.
530-6330, toll-free 800-472-2113 ext. 6330. We're here to help.