The profession of Respiratory Therapy is a field involved in working in all areas of the hospital with patients of all ages with heart and lung disorders. They are members of the health care team that are a vital part of responding to patient emergencies. Respiratory Therapists work to evaluate, treat, and care for patients with breathing illnesses, whether they are acute or chronic.
The Respiratory Therapy Department at St. Alexius is committed to delivering appropriate, cost-effective therapy to its patients. As part of reaching this goal, these Respiratory Therapy Services are available for your patients. An opportunity to experience this commitment is through the Regional Children's Asthma Clinic.
Respiratory Therapy by Protocol
Therapy by protocol is initiated, adjusted, and discontinued, based on clinical indicators. Therapeutic modalities included are:
- Bronchodilators by metered dose inhalers, hand-held nebulizer, or intermittent positive pressure breathing (IPPB). Meds included are: Albuterol, Terbutaline, Ipratropium Bromide, Metaproterenol and any inhaled meds used at home.
- Bronchial hygiene - incentive spirometry, IPPB, deep breathing and cough,Flutter valve, ThAIRapy Vest, postural drainage and percussion (CPT).
- Oxygen Therapy & Titration
- Ventilation Weaning & Extulsation
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Consult
- Perioperative Respiratory Care
- Volume Expansion
- Self Administered Medical Modality
- Modified Pulmonary Stress
- Emergency Trauma Bronchodilator Protocol
- Pediatric & ER Bronchodilator Protocol
- Smoking Cessation Protocol
- Mechanical Ventilation Albuterol Protocol
Respiratory Therapy Protocols are physician initiated when ordered as "Respiratory Therapy Protocols" or "Respiratory Therapy to evaluate and treat" or when the physician has a signed standing order for respiratory therapy protocols.
The Mission of Catholic Health Initiatives is to nurture the healing ministry of the Church, supported by education and research. Fidelity to the Gospel urges us to emphasize human dignity and social justice as we create healthier communities.
To Establish a precedent in the field of respiratory care - progressive, innovative and respected - by setting the standard which all others strive to attain.