In general, the patient must have a problem which requires daily services of a physical medicine specialist, the services of two or more rehabilitation therapies (physical, occupational or speech) and 24 hours of rehabilitation nursing care.
In addition, the patient:
- must be unable to perform the basic activities of daily living such as mobility, selfcare, bowel or bladder management, safety or communication; but with adequate mental alertness to follow simple instructions.
- must have a disability related problem which is amenable to rehabilitation intervention only on an inpatient basis within a reasonable period of rehabilitation.
- must be able to tolerate up to three hours of therapy each day.
- must be medically and surgically stable.
- must agree to participate in the program.