What is Cardiac Rehabilitation?
Cardiac rehabilitation is a professionally-supervised program that helps patients recover from a variety of heart ailments including:
- heart attacks
- angina (chest pain or discomfort)
- open heart surgery, such as coronary bypasses or valve replacement
- heart failure
- heart transplants
- coronary procedures, such as stenting and angioplasty
At St. Alexius Medical Center, our cardiac rehab program provides the education to help heart patients increase their physical fitness, reduce cardiac symptoms, improve their health and reduce the risk of future heart problems. Our program includes a complete evaluation and an individualized treatment plan, including instructions on physical activity, nutrition, stress management and other health-related areas.
The program takes place at the St. Alexius Orthopedic Center of Excellence. There are many benefits to taking part in the program:
- Monitoring and better control of blood pressure, lipids and cholesterol and diabetes
- Live longer and lessen your chances of another heart attack
- Control heart disease symptoms such as chest pain or shortness of breath
- Stop or reverse damage to your blood vessels in your heart
- Lessen the physicial and emotional effects of heart disease
- Improve your confidence and well-being
- Improve your stamina and strength, getting you back to your usual activities, including work, hobbies and regular exercise.
- Improved communication with your doctor and other health care providers about your progress
- The opportunity to meet and share stories with others like you
"Recent studies who people who complete a cardiac rehabilitation program can increase their life expectancy by up to five years." - American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Cardiac rehab is generally covered by most health insurance companies, but check your plan to determine co-pays or other requirements. Contact St. Alexius' Cardiac Rehabilitation Program at 701-530-8240 to inquire what programs are available to patients who do not have insurance.
For more information or to schedule an appointment call 701-530-8240.