Interventional radiology is a quickly growing sub-specialty of radiology that offers the patient an alternative to surgery. Dr. Brent Herbel , Dr. Sean Kalagher  and Dr. Paul Jahn  allow patients to receive state-of-the-art care close to home. Referring physicians are able to schedule the patient to see Dr. Herbel and Dr. Kalagher within days, if not hours, for consultation.
Treatment options include, but are not limited to:
- Blood clots - delivery of clot-busting drugs to a specific area
- Cancer treatment - administering chemotherapy or heat to the tumor to kill it
- Embolization - the delivery of clotting agents to an area of the body that is bleeding, or to block blood flow to a problem area, such as an aneurysm, fibroid tumor or trauma patients
- Uterine Fibroid Embolization - shrinking fibroids by blocking blood flow
- Fractures of the Spine - place bone cement into the fracture
- Peripheral Vascular Disease - stent, angioplasty or atherectomy of blood vessels everywhere except the heart
Interventional Radiologists are board-certified physicians with extensive training in vascular disease diagnosis, management and treatment. They use live X-ray, ultrasound or CT scan to guide a catheter inside the body, to deliver treatment to a specific part of the body.
Dr. Herbel and Dr. Kalagher perform a full range of interventional radiological procedures that give patients more treatment options and often reduce recovery time. Interventional radiology not only offers patients a less invasive alternative, but a treatment option that is more cost effective and has proven, excellent, medical outcomes.
IR Procedures - click on the below procedure for information
- Abcess Drainage or Sinogram 
- Arterograms and Aortograms 
- Biliary tube insertion 
- Carotid Stenting 
- Chemoembolization 
- CT guided needle placement for biopsy 
- Fistulograms 
- Gastronomy/Jejunostomy tube insertion 
- Kyphoplasty 
- Nephrostomy tube insertion 
- Non-tunneled temporary catheter insertion 
- PICC (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter) Line Insertion 
- Radiofrequency ablation of liver tumors 
- Steroid injections under fluoroscopy 
- Thoracentesis and chest tube insertion 
- Tunneled Catheter Insertion 
- Ultra sound guided paracentesis 
- Uterine Fibroid Embolization 
- Venocavagram and IVC filter placement 
International Society of Interventional Radiology  provides detailed information on specific procedures and what the patient can expect before, during and after their procedure.