In 2012, CHI St. Alexius Health, recognized the national trend toward Hospital based medicine. Our Hospital Medicine Department, in collaboration with the University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Sciences, began offering a one-year fellowship program to provide additional training for family medicine and internal medicine graduates interested in pursuing careers as hospitalists.
Our goal is to develop the next generation of hospital medicine leaders by providing additional training opportunities focusing on the care of the hospitalized patient as well as teaching residents and medical students. Our facility currently has 309 beds and is a Level II Trauma Center.
Meet Current Fellows and Faculty
The field of hospital medicine is now well-established and continues to grow, with demand for hospitalists far out-weighing supply. With the concentrated inpatient training our fellowship provides, our graduates will be well-prepared to effectively practice hospital medicine in a variety of hospital settings. Enhanced skills and experience will allow the fellow to command more interest from hospital programs unaware of the potential for excellent hospital care by hospitalists trained in family or internal medicine.
13 - 4 week blocks
- 6.5 blocks rotating with Hospitalists
- 1 block with ICU
- 1 block cardiology
- 4.5 blocks Electives (Interventional Radiology, attending for UND family medicine residency, nephrology, emergency medicine, pulmonary, oncology, infectious disease, general surgery, gastroenterology, neurology, and palliative care.)
- To train family physicians and internists in hospital medicine, such that they gain the necessary clinical and procedural skills to provide excellent inpatient care, specifically focused on the development of core competencies as defined by the Society of Hospitalist Medicine.
- To provide opportunities for fellows to lead quality improvement initiatives for the hospital and to participate in various committees in order to foster the development of leadership qualities.
- To enhance job marketability to the graduating fellows.
Susan Reisenauer, Hospitalist Secretary
Phone: (701) 530-3894
Francine Kyaw, Physician Recruiter
Phone: (701) 373-1502
S. Shiraz Hyder, MD / Vice President Medical Affairs
Phone: (701) 530-7691
Sheila Welder, Hospitalist Coordinator
Phone: (701) 530-3887
- Successful completion of family medicine or internal medicine residency program
- Unrestricted license or eligibility for an unrestricted license in North Dakota
- Eligibility for medical staff privileges at CHI St. Alexius Health