As the role of hospital medicine expands across America, opportunities abound for family medicine physicians and internists who have a special interest in inpatient medicine. Many graduates of residency programs, however, do not feel adequately prepared for this demanding role.
The Hospitalist Fellowship Program at CHI St. Alexius Health in Bismarck, N.D. is a one year program that started in 2012 in collaboration with University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences. The program is designed for family medicine or internal medicine graduates who are interested in pursuing a career as a hospitalist. Our fellowship program began in July of 2012 with two fellows. The program was well-received and successful and expanded to four fellows in 2013. The fellows work directly with St. Alexius’ hospitalist team.
Meet Current Fellows and Faculty
The field of hospital medicine is now well-established and continues to grow, with demand for hospitalists far out-weighing supply. With the concentrated inpatient training our fellowship provides, our graduates will be well-prepared to effectively practice hospital medicine in a variety of hospital settings. Enhanced skills and experience will allow the fellow to command more interest from hospital programs unaware of the potential for excellent hospital care by hospitalists trained in family or internal medicine.
13 - 4 week blocks
- 6.5 blocks rotating with Hospitalists
- 1 block with ICU
- 1 block cardiology
- 4.5 blocks Electives (Interventional Radiology, attending for UND family medicine residency, nephrology, emergency medicine, pulmonary, oncology, infectious disease, general surgery, gastroenterology, neurology, and palliative care.)
- To train family physicians and internists in hospital medicine, such that they gain the necessary clinical and procedural skills to provide excellent inpatient care, specifically focused on the development of core competencies as defined by the Society of Hospitalist Medicine.
- To provide opportunities for fellows to lead quality improvement initiatives for the hospital and to participate in various committees in order to foster the development of leadership qualities.
- To enhance job marketability to the graduating fellows.
Susan Reisenauer, Hospitalist Secretary
Phone: (701) 530-3894
Francine Kyaw, Physician Recruiter
Phone: (701) 373-1502
S. Shiraz Hyder, MD / Vice President Medical Affairs
Phone: (701) 530-7691
Sheila Welder, Hospitalist Coordinator
Phone: (701) 530-3887
- Successful completion of family medicine or internal medicine residency program
- Unrestricted license or eligibility for an unrestricted license in North Dakota
- Eligibility for medical staff privileges at CHI St. Alexius Health