Helping Your Children to Succeed in School
Back to Marital & Family
- Teach your children to value education and respect teachers and classmates. Make sure they attend school daily. Encourage them to participate fully in whatever they do. Help them to understand that what they get out of any class or activity will depend on how much they put into it.
- Be a cheerleader for your children's success. Offer praise and encouragement, and acknowledge their achievements. Encourage them to recognize, feel good about, and build on their strengths.
- Make sure your children have a quiet and comfortable place to do schoolwork, and necessary supplies to complete their assignments at home. Teach them to organize their assignments so that they can use their time well and get help when they need it.
- Talk to your children every day about what is happening in school. Encourage them to be a positive influence on others by being cooperative and enthusiastic, and by encouraging their classmates to behave that way too.
- Stay involved in your children's education. Read to (or with)them on a regular basis. Serve as a positive role model by letting them see that you also find reading to be important and enjoyable. Attend school conferences and special events to show your interest and support.
- Encourage your children to face new challenges with curiosity, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude. Help them to learn by encouraging effort, not by expecting perfection. Let them know that failures and mistakes can become opportunities to grow and improve.
- Encourage your children to become positive thinkers. Let them know that they are responsible for their own success by taking action to achieve what they want to do in life. Encourage them to work hard and practice so they will understand that it takes time and hard work to do almost anything well. Let them know that if they do their best, they will eventually succeed.
- Encourage your children to take care of themselves by eating healthy foods, getting enough sleep, and living free from alcohol and other drugs.