AWHONN Advanced Fetal Monitoring Course
The Advanced Fetal Monitoring Course is a one-day course that expands on the knowledge and principles that were presented in the Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course and covers more complex concepts. This course uses a case study approach focusing on the analysis of complicated FHM patterns and characteristics with related case information and includes a written test at the conclusion of the day. Successful completion of a written examination is a requirement for completion of the course. The course emphasizes the following:
- Maternal-fetal physiology related to complex FHR tracings
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Risk-management principles
Upon successful completion of the course the participant will:
- Describe physiologic principles of maternal and fetal oxygen transfer and acid-base balance.
- Identify physiologic principles underlying fetal heart monitoring.
- Describe concepts in antenatal testing including analysis and interpretation of biophysical profiles and complex antenatal fetal heart monitoring tracings.
- Relate physiologic principles to the goals and interventions of antenatal testing.
- Evaluate interventions for patients undergoing antenatal testing.
- Analyze fetal cardiac arrhythmia patterns and describe outcomes associated with these patterns.
- Analyze complex fetal heart monitoring patterns utilizing current NICHD/ACOG EFM categories and definitions.
- Apply perinatal risk management principles, communication techniques, and documentation strategies related to complex and challenging patient care scenarios.
Expected Level of Learner
The Advanced Course is designed for the clinician with at least one year of experience and focuses on application of advanced concepts and knowledge as they apply to complex maternal-fetal case scenarios. The content presented in this course is based on contemporary issues, professional standards and research findings. The content includes fetal heart rate (FHR) assessment as a component of individualized, comprehensive care and focuses on antepartum and intrapartum FHR monitoring. Course methodology includes lecture, analysis of case studies and group discussion.
The Advanced Fetal Monitoring Course format is based on adult educational theory. The instruction design incorporates critical thinking and decision making and is specifically designed for clinicians with previous FHM experiences. Physicians and residents may also participate in the program. To facilitate successful completion of the course, participants are advised to review the current Fifth Edition of Fetal Heart Monitoring Principles and Practices, including suggested readings prior to attending the course.
|8:00 - 8:10 a.m.||Introduction|
|8:10 - 9:25 a.m.||Maternal-Fetal Physiology and Oxygenation|
|9:25 - 9:40 a.m.||Break|
|9:40 - 10:40 a.m.||Antepartum Fetal Assessment|
|10:40 - 11:55 a.m.||Fetal Arrhythmias|
|11:55 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.||Lunch|
|12:45 - 2:15 p.m.||Complex Case Scenarios|
|2:15 - 2:25 p.m.||Break|
|2:25 - 2:55 p.m.||Complex Cases|
|2:55 - 3:55 p.m.||Communication, Documentation and Risk Management|
|3:55 - 5:00 p.m.||Validation Examination|
|5:00 - 5:10 p.m.||Course Evaluation/Wrap-up|
Continuing Education Credit
A total of 8 contact hours of continuing education will be awarded to those who attend and participate in the entire course.
- AWHONN is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- AWHONN holds California BRN Provider Number CEP 00580.
Prior to the Workshop:
Each participant must review the most recent Fetal Heart Monitoring Principles and Practices textbook (Fifth Edition). (The textbook, if applicable, will be sent to you after registration is received.)
Donna Hintz, BA, RN, CLC
Penny Welk, BSN, RNC-OB, CLC
$190.00 (does not include cost of textbook)
Textbook (Fifth Edition) if needed: $75
Registration Deadline: March 30, 2016
If registering by mail, please make check payable to CHI St. Alexius Health and mail with completed registration form to:
Donna Hintz, BA, RN, CLC
CHI St. Alexius Health
P.O. Box 5510
Bismarck, ND 58506-5510
1310 E. Main
Bismarck, North Dakota 58501
|Course Fee||$ 190.00|
|Course Fee & Textbook||$ 265.00|